Bruce Wilson has an informative post on the Family over at Huffington Post, and as much as I hate the thought of relying on them as a source of information on any subject, it seems like a reasonable place to start because he assembles information from a variety of reputable sources. Religion Dispatches also has some good information on the Family.
Here are some details about the group worth knowing:
- The Family is the oldest conservative Christian organization in Washington D.C.
- The Family runs (but does not own) the notorious "C Street House" as a church to provide assorted politicians with inexpensive living space, Christian bible study, and "spiritual counseling."
- "C Street House" is owned by an organization, Youth With a Mission D.C., headed by Loren Cunningham, a man with a vision for worldwide Christian dominion. Cunningham links to Campus Crusade for Christ and Christian Embassy, a D.C.-based ministry that tries to convert Pentagon officials.
- The Family is responsible for the annual National Prayer Breakfasts and runs assorted prayer groups in which both Republican and Democratic members of Congress participate.
- According to Jeff Sharlet, author of The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power, the Family is "committed to a political theology that views democracy as a form of secular humanism, to which they're deeply opposed."
The kingdom of God that’s to be built here on earth, Family organizers are fond of saying, is not a democracy.- Jeff Sharlet