Proud Atheists has a great post on this topic in which he provides Christians with a list of what they should know when interacting with atheists. I believe that this is a productive exercise because many of the items on the list are precisely those things that will lead many atheists to end a conversation and decide that it is pointless.
I will leave it to Christians to compose a similar list of things that we atheists should know when interacting with them, but I will take the liberty to offer a few suggestions for their list:
- Not all Christians are fundamentalists, evangelicals, Republicans, biblical literalists, creationists, or extremists.
- Many Christians value science, reason, and critical thinking.
- Not all Christians despise atheists. Some are genuinely curious, and others consider others' religion none of their business.
- Some Christians are fierce advocates of church-state separation, reality-based science education, and the like.
- Many Christians are perfectly content to live their own lives as they see fit and not attempt to legislate their beliefs or push their particular view of morality on others.
Subscribe to Atheist Revolution