Maximizing the impact of a limited time investment requires a little preparation. After all, one must know where best to direct one's efforts. Therefore, I recommend using your first 30 minute period to do the following, each of which will make future efforts even easier:
- Install an RSS reader if you do not already have one. I use FeedDemon on PCs and NetNewsWire on Macs. Both are free and quite powerful.
- Add each of the following RSS feeds to your reader: Internet Infidels News Wire, Atheist Defense Network, Americans United for Separation of Church and State, and of course, Atheist Revolution.
- Bookmark the following webpages for information of relevant legislative issues and other action alerts: Americans United - Legislative Alerts, Freedom From Religion Foundation - Action Alerts, and Secular Coalition for America - Activism. Of course, I also regularly spread the word about action alerts here at Atheist Revolution.
- Join Digg, Reddit, and StumbleUpon.
Now that you are set up, it is time to figure out how best to use your 30 minutes a week for the good of atheists everywhere. In no particular order, here are several things you can do on a regular basis to benefit the atheist movement:
- Vote up good atheist-related material on Digg, Reddit, and/or StumbleUpon. This helps others find it.
- Take action on relevant action alerts you receive. This is typically as simply as making a phone call, signing an on-line petition, or sending a letter to an elected official.
- Write letters to the editor of your local newspaper.
- Learn about the Pledge Project and why it is so important to remove "under god" from the pledge and "in god we trust" from U.S. currency.
- Learn who your elected officials are, how they vote on issues of importance to atheists, and how to contact them.
- Find out if there is a local atheist group in your area, or if you would rather connect with other atheists online, check out Atheist Nexus.
- Give blood.
- Learn how to work toward ending anti-atheist bigotry.
- Look for opportunities to make a difference in your community.
Subscribe to Atheist Revolution