Bush's DOJ appears to have rolled out its misleading initiative right before the Supreme Court hears Hein v. Freedom From Religion Foundation next week. You are going to want to follow this case because our Christian extremist government will argue that we taxpayers should not have the legal right to challenge faith-based initiatives and other government spending that clearly favors religion. For more information, see here and here.
So what can you do? Join the 100,000 and growing who have already signed the First Freedom First petition. The heart of the petition says the following:
- Every American should have the right to make personal decisions -- about family life, reproductive health, end of life care and other matters of personal conscience.
- American tax dollars should not go to charities that discriminate in hiring based on religious belief or that promote a particular religious faith as a requirement for receiving services.
- Political candidates should not be endorsed or opposed by houses of worship.
- Public schools should teach with academic integrity and without the promotion of religious preference or belief.
- Decisions about scientific and health policies should be based on the best available scientific data, not on religious doctrine.
Tags: church and state, Bush, religion, Freedom From Religion Foundation, atheist activism, atheism, religious freedom